Ria's Reviews > To Conquer a Highlander

To Conquer a Highlander by Mary Wine

Apr 24, 11

bookshelves: historical, romance, read-in-2011
Read in April, 2011

Oh dear. I'm resigned to the fact that every highland romance I read won't come close to the wonders of Cross Stitch, but it's still rather deflating to read books like this.

To Conquer a Highlander has an entertaining premise - a daughter kidnapped by an enemy clan who experiences a fairly spectacular case of Stockholm Syndrome with the kidnapping laird in question. Yet there was no real tension throughout - Torin has zero qualms about deciding that Shannon will not only be his lover but also his wife, and Shannon's logic-free determination to refuse his offer at ever step of the way is the greatest obstacle the couple face. The finale was also a bit of a wasted opportunity, with no real sense of danger or threat.

There were also far too many uncomfortable moments where Shannon says quite clearly "no" and pushes Torin away, but he chooses to ignore her words because he supposedly knows that she wants him. Had there been more development of their mutual affection, I perhaps would have coped more with these scenes, but as it was, their relationship was limited to verbal sparring and physical attraction. It might be time to re-read Cross Stitch!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Conquer a Highlander.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meghan Stith Is "Cross Stitch" the british name for "Outlander?" And yes... I would agree on that!

message 2: by Ria (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ria Meghan wrote: "Is "Cross Stitch" the british name for "Outlander?" And yes... I would agree on that!"

Yep! I know it's naive, but every time I open a book with Highlanders, I hope it will be good... and they rarely are. Although I really liked The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, if you haven't read that yet :)