Beth's Reviews > Sometimes a Great Notion

Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey

Dec 09, 08

Read in December, 2008

Definitely not a page-turner, but an interesting look at strength and weakness from numerous, vastly different perspectives. I enjoyed reading it (when I wasn't feeling stressed by its extreme length and extremely tiny font) -- and the last 100 pages were really fascinating -- but I can't say that I loved the book. What I did love, though, was Kesey's fluid writing style. I will definitely read more of his books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sometimes a Great Notion.

10/10/2008 page 25
3.91% "I was warned (by the lovely Sarah Bob) that this one was tough to get into, but as of page 25, I'm definitely curious to see where it's goin"
10/10/2008 page 25
3.91% "I was warned this one could be tough to get into, but, so far, I'm very curious to see where it's going."
10/12/2008 page 50
7.81% "Wow, these people are fascinating ... and pretty darn scary."
show 10 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by sab (new) - rated it 5 stars

sab Even though, unlike you, I think this is one of the most AMAZING BOOKS EVER, I'm really glad you read it. I know other people who have found it a stressful (thus uncomfortable) read but I can't get over how in depth each character is and how he achieves this through his writing. (SPOILER: The whole Joe Ben scene?!@!?#!@?! HOLY S%@T! I was blown away.) Kesey's ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST is also very good and very disturbing but much shorter and "easier" to read. Check it out. Regardless, I still think SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION is the best.

Beth Yes, the whole Joe Ben thing was really very amazing. I have to disagree about character development, though. While Kesey spent quite a while letting us into the minds of the males, I'm still very confused about Viv, Indian Jenny, and Lee's mom. Seems like the females could have gone deeper.

message 3: by sab (new) - rated it 5 stars

sab oooh. good comment! Ya know, the 2nd time I read SAGN, I thought Viv was more developed than I had remembered from the 1st time. As for Lee's mom, I just assumed that he wanted her to be a fuzzy memory for the reader as well as the characters. As for Indian Jenny, RIGHT ON! Yet, we know she is majorly important because she's the one that finishes the book. MYSTERIOUS!!! I still think about that. But, back to the female character development in general, I agree. This is true in the other stuff I've read of Kesey's as well. Very male dominated.

Beth Yeah, everyone at book club was confused about Indian Jenny and her shells and if she ever got her man. What do you and Aaron think?