Tara's Reviews > The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Jan 01, 13

bookshelves: own-arc, released-wishlist
Read on December 18, 2012

Review originally posted on my blog http://hobbitsies.net/2012/12/the-dar...

YOU GUYS. I absolutely loved The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken. I’ve heard only great things about Brightly Woven, which I still haven’t read, so even though I had a feeling The Darkest Minds would be good, I just didn’t know HOW good.

I was sucked into The Darkest Minds from the get-go. I was incapable of putting it down except for when I absolutely had to do so. Even though it’s nearly five hundred pages long, they just flew by and I was clinging to those last few pages, begging it not to end.

AND THE STORY. While I don’t think I’ll ever be over dystopian/sci-fi/apocalyptic kind of thing, I wasn’t really in the mood for it before I picked up The Darkest Minds. But it won me over! WHAT AN FREAKING INTENSE STORY. The down time is minimal – there is always so much happening in The Darkest Minds and my heart was racing while I was reading it. There were several times when the boyfriend tried to get my attention and I was just like “NO THIS IS SO INTENSE” because I never knew what was going to happen next. What trouble they would run into, if they were going to get captured, if there were going to be smooches, etc.

And the ending. THE ENDING, YOU GUYS. Seriously, Alexandra Bracken took a page from Lauren Oliver’s book (but not literally, obviously) because the cliffhanger ending of The Darkest Minds is nearly as ifeaiofeaoi as Delirium – but not quite, thankfully, because I don’t think I would have been able to handle it. And I am barely keeping it together over that ending as it is!

I absolutely loved Alexandra Bracken’s story telling and her characters. I loved being able to dive into The Darkest Minds and come out of it breathless and panicky and desperate for the next one.

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken has put her on my auto-buy list for sure. It’s going to be a long wait for book two, so in the mean time I’m glad I have Brightly Woven to keep me busy. Definitely pick up The Darkest Minds if you’re up for a tense and engaging story bursting with originality and even some moments of serious swoon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Minds.

12/18/2012 page 184