Steph 's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: favorites-of-2012, read-in-2012, signed, the-good-stuff, arc, bea-2012, ala-2012, 2012-dac, fantasy, favorite-boys
Read from June 14 to 16, 2012

Original review and ARC giveaway (through July 17) on the blog:

Dear world,

Meet my new obsession: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.

Fangirling forever,

As I sat around with my roommates prior to BEA, discussing what books we hoped to snag, I clearly remember announcing to them, “I MUST get Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.” Over the course of the months since hearing about it, it had become one of my most anticipated titles of the year and, BOY, did it absolutely deliver with its epicness.

To start with, there’s the kickass heroine, Celaena Sardothien. Having spent time doing hard labor in the salt mines for her crimes as an assassin one might expect a worn out, tired, and lost girl, but Celaena is anything but that. Sure, she’s not in top physical shape, but she is full of personality to make up for it. Fiery and intelligent, Celaena is a force to be reckoned with and I was in awe as Sarah J. Maas uncovered all the details of her past as an assassin -- AWESOME. If her ability to take people down in the blink of an eye wasn’t enough to admire her, I absolutely loved her attitude and the way she carried herself. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like there’s always a degree of distance from several other YA female leads -- Katniss and Tris, for example -- because they can be so closed off. With Celaena, I loved how she spoke her mind, was cunning, and had so much energy and charisma. I really appreciated how Sarah J. Maas didn’t resort to the stereotypical ways to make her female lead “tough” and “badass,” but instead allowed Celaena to be a viable threat AND girly. I could go on and on about how much I loved Celaena but I think it’s suffice to say that she’s a new favorite of mine and I’m so glad there are more adventures with her in the upcoming installments.

My friends Lindsey and Jen read this before I did and their tweets to each other consisted of much back and forth between the two male leads. When it comes to love triangles I am one that can always makes a decision early on, and stick with him as my favorite, so I remember saying to them, “I’ll decide for you when I read it soon!!!” Um, yeah, not so much. Once I finally got around to reading the book, I understood their plight of being torn between Chaol and Dorian completely. Sarah J. Maas created two very different characters in them, one being stoic and reserved while the other definitely had swagger, but she gave them both depth and development. Their interactions with Celaena oozed INSANE chemistry, but each of them also had an excellent rapport with her which was just as great. And, okay, I do have a preferred favorite (CHAOL CHAOL CHAOL), but I think I’ll just sit back and enjoy Celaena’s romantic entanglements regardless of who they’re with.

The fantastic characters already had me completely loving Throne of Glass but, in addition to them, Sarah J. Maas also offered world building, action, and mystery. Adarlan is in the middle of conflicts with other countries, the King is the right amount of menacing, and there are hints of magic all around. The tournament had Celaena demonstrating her strength and endurance but also her smarts against the other champions. The intensity of the tournament increased when champions are discovered brutally murdered and Celaena gets wrapped up in uncovering the mystery behind their deaths. Through it all -- intrigue within the kingdom, murder mysteries, Celaena’s challenges, romance, EVERYTHING -- Sarah J. Maas had me glued to the pages and I hated having to go to work, sleep, and do other real life things that kept me away from this world.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

Quotes Steph Liked

Sarah J. Maas
“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

Sarah J. Maas
“How long was I asleep?" she whispered. He didn't respond.
"How long was I asleep?" she asked again, and noticed a hint of red in his cheeks.
"You were asleep, too?"
"Until you began drooling on my shoulder.”

Sarah J. Maas
“You could rattle the stars," she whispered. "You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.”

Sarah J. Maas
“In the garden, the Captain of the Guard stared up at the young woman's balcony, watching as she waltzed alone, lost in her dreams. But he knew her thoughts weren't of him.

She stopped and stared upward. Even from a distance, he could see the blush upon her cheeks. She seemed young—no, new. It made his chest ache.

Still, he watched, watched until she sighed and went inside. She never bothered to look below.”

Sarah J. Maas
“My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me.”

06/16/2012 page 66
16.0% "Yes, I am going to enjoy this A LOT."
06/16/2012 page 181
44.0% "I THINK I have my favorite..."
06/16/2012 page 233