Rebecca's Reviews > The Medusa Amulet

The Medusa Amulet by Robert Masello

May 02, 11

bookshelves: reviewed, mystery
Read in April, 2011

I won this book through first reads, which was exciting!

I enjoyed this book, even though thrillers aren't my preferred genre, which is romance. My preferences in reading could have prejudiced this reading somewhat, so keep that in mind. I found the historical and international settings of Florence, Rome, and Paris truly fascinating. I also really appreciated the author's descriptions of archival research since I, too, am an academic.

However, I enjoyed the historical couple of Benvenuto Cellini and Caterina much more than the current day protagonists of David Franco and Olivia Levi. I liked David's race against time to find the Medusa Amulet in the hope that it will save his sister from terminal cancer, but I found his character to be otherwise uninteresting and, quite frankly, unrealistic. He has his PhD AND a plummy position at the Newberry Library at 31? BWAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, right! And Olivia is quirky. And SMART! She can do archival research! Other than that, I know nothing about her.

I found myself looking forward to the historical/flashback sections more than the contemporary ones. The ending, however, was fast paced and action-packed. I think if you enjoyed Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, you'll probably enjoy this as well. I'm not sure if I'll read any of Masello's other novels, but as I stated previously, I suspect that's more because of my personal preferences in reading, rather than the content of the novel.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Medusa Amulet.