Anne's Reviews > Written on the Body

Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson

Apr 07, 08

Recommended for: romantics
Read in July, 1997

You know how it is when your friends fall madly in love with someone (a new girlfriend), or something (Guitar Hero, Battlestar Galactica), and wear you out during the honeymoon phase babbling on about his/her/its awesomeness, sometimes in excruciating detail? If you're not in a similar situation, or worse, wish you were, it's damn near unendurable.

For God's sake, don't read this book unless you can stand to read about sheer, uninhibited passion, often in graphic detail. The pointedly genderless narrator, having wandered through the nooks and crannies of various male and female lovers, falls head over heels for Louise, and, when foolish enough to lose her, spends roughly a third of the book singing paeans to her entire body. It's Winterson at her most self-indulgent, but in this case, her enthusiasm is well-suited to its subject. If you've ever been stupid in love with someone, you can sympathize with narrator x, and appreciate Winterson's matchless style.

Definitely a book you've got to be in the right mood for, by which I mean if you're in an unhappy relationship or you aren't seeing anyone and wish you were, or God help you just got dumped, stay the hell away. If you're bazonkers about someone right now or otherwise don't mind, read this, it will thrill you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Written on the Body.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by pj (new) - rated it 5 stars

pj Nice. I actually read this book years ago while in a relationship gone bad. From what I remember of that time and the book, I was floored to read something that seemed as if it could easily have been written both by and about the person who I was then seeing. I’m sure I came to hope I would find answers in the book that were absent from the relationship. Ahhh, youth… In spite of it all (yikes... or because of?), I loved that book and have been into JW ever since.

message 2: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess (smile) I really liked your comment. I was thinking about reading this book, but now - I'm not sure if it is a good decision in this point of my life.

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Heywood Ignore this comment - read the book!