Joseph Cohen's Reviews > Of Blood and Honey

M_50x66
Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: reviewed, free-ebook
Read from April 24 to 26, 2011

I received this for free from the publisher as a St. Patrick's Day promotion. It's not the type of thing I typically read. I'm not a big fan of urban fantasy, and roleplaying, one of my hobbies, is filled with a bizarre sort of Eire-phile sensibility, so mentions of the Fae and Fianna tend to set my eyes rolling.

I was happily surprised to find myself caught up in this book, and will happily watch for anything else Ms. Leicht writes. The historical setting (1970s Derry and Belfast) is engrossing; I would have enjoyed this book even if no element of the supernatural had shown up. Thankfully, the integration of fantasy elements was so smooth, it felt completely organic to the story.

The prose is very well-written, and I was interested in all the characters. There are a few loose ends here and there, but I imagine those are threads for future books. Nothing I'm going to lose sleep over, unlike some authors (I'm looking at you, Patrick Rothfuss!). A terrific first novel, and a pleasant change of pace from the "A Werewolf and a Mummy open a detective agency" brand of urban fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Blood and Honey.