Yzobelle's Reviews > Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Apr 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: for-sharing-at-blink
Read from April 24 to 25, 2011 — I own a copy

This is quite an easy read -- something that can be finished while having a haircut and an ice cream sundae after.

I couldn't say much about the grandeur of this book. It's not much. But it did give me quite a number of realizations. Some are profound. Some are simply amusing.

One thing that struck me is the commonality I have, at 32, with a 90-year-old man. Marquez, speaking of himself:

"I discovered that my obsession for having each thing in the right place, each subject at the right time, each word in the right style, was not the well-deserved reward of an ordered mind but just the opposite: a complete system of pretense invented by me to hide the disorder of my nature. ...."

Another thing that this book made me believe is that Spanish men are entertaining storytellers and naturally romantic.

Oh btw, is it just this book edition that doesn't enclose dialogs in quotation marks? The absence of that slows down the reading pace and makes it a little annoying.

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memories of My Melancholy Whores.

Yzobelle Oh correction ... Marquez is Colombian, not Spanish. But Colombians do have great Spanish influence.

Yzobelle Thanks Mark! :)