Jane Lee's Reviews > Message in a Bottle

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks

Apr 24, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, when-i-want-to-cry-my-eyes-out
Read in August, 2006

This is the first Nicholas Sparks book I have ever read. I was in college then, a freshman at that. I was new to the whole tragic, the-protagonist-died-leaving-his-loved-one-in-grief kind of endings. You can imagine my chagrin (and okay, tears---lots and lots of it) when the hero died at the end.

I was used to the whole idea of happy endings as most of the books I devoured in my elementary years were fairy tales and classics by Mark Twain, Jules Vern and H.G. Wells. In my opinion, heroes should never die. It was against every law of happy endings. Little did I know, Sparks wasn't one of those writers who adored blissful romance as an epilogue.

I was mentally and emotionally thrown off. And boy, did I cry. My roommate was actually confused why I was crying like a kid sucked out of my lollipop. I cried THAT hard. Since I never reread a book, I'm going to review this one based on what I felt when I first read it five years ago.

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THE BOOK:
1. The complexities between the two characters were realistic, if not painfully easy to relate to. The pain of losing someone you love is vividly written, needing merely your imagination to let you feel the emotions riddled in every page.

2. I admit, I'm a hopeless romantic so the whole idea of messages on a bottle was pretty endearing ;)

WHAT I HATE ABOUT THE BOOK:
The hero friggin' died. Duh.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Message in a Bottle.

Quotes Jane Lee Liked

Nicholas Sparks
“Nothing that’s worthwhile is ever easy. Remember that.”
Nicholas Sparks, Message in a Bottle