Anne's Reviews > The Arrivals

The Arrivals by Meg Mitchell Moore

May 22, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from May 12 to 22, 2011

I found The Arrivals to be a very enjoyable read (I wish I could give it 3.5 stars). The novel explores what happens when an older couples’ grown children all come back to their childhood home for various reasons (that are detailed periodically throughout the beginning of the book). Meg Mitchell Moore does a very good job of sewing the seeds of conflict between the characters—issues that start out as relatively minor disagreements grow to become all-out battles by the final chapters. Mitchell Moore also creates a highly-charged atmosphere—as I read through the book, I found myself feeling nearly suffocated by the flurry of activity in the home and sympathizing with the characters as they grew more and more frustrated with the constant and unavoidable intrusions into each others’ lives. The narrative of the book is relatively straightforward—there are few major plot twists or surprise reveals to be found (in other words, don’t expect to read this book and have the plot be completely turned on its head in the last 50 pages). Rather, The Arrivals is a simple, intriguing, and overall very pleasant novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Arrivals.