Miss Clark's Reviews > The Summer of the Great-Grandmother

The Summer of the Great-Grandmother by Madeleine L'Engle

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: biography-letters, modern-presentday
Read from April 23 to July 25, 2011

"Mado died a year before I was born, and yet I feel that I have always known her, the stories about her are so vivid. I have never heard her name mentioned by anybody in our enormous Southern clan without its evoking a smile. There have been several Montague - Capulet schisms in my mother's family, but I have never heard an unloving word about Mado."

Part memoir, part remembrance and entirely a story. About her childhood and her relationship with her parents. About how she viewed her parents and how she and her mother dealt with her father's death. About growing up. About relating to her mother as an adult, as a married woman, a mother. Understanding where her mother came from and the forces that shaped her life - her times, her very different Southern culture, her family. Stories and brief vignettes bring to life Madeline's mother's family and ancestors.

Well worth the read, this short but very emotionally genuine book.

"If she cried alone at night she does not say. What she shared was love and laughter, and I am grateful for her."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer of the Great-Grandmother.