Michael Tildsley's Reviews > The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2B

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame by Ben Bova

Oct 07, 11

Read from September 23 to October 07, 2011

This is a remarkable collection of science fiction novellas that completes the previous volume, IIA. Personally, I feel that it is a stronger collection than its predecessor. I thoroughly enjoyed several of the stories herein. Of the ones that I didn't care for as much, it can be said that each had a memorable, crafty, or unique issue that they focused upon.

I was particularly struck by the intriguing world-view of "The Machine Stops," as well as the visionary qualities of its author. Although it was originally published in 1909, the novella does not stand out like a sore thumb amongst its more recently conceived brethren. In it, E. M. Forster depicts a future of comfort and vice in the form of a global network of devices, known as The Machine. In no uncertain terms, Forster predicts things such as television, the internet, and face-talk calling as mediums that aid in the isolation of each individual human being from every other. What unbelievable foresight! It is a great read.

My favorites from this collection include:

"Rogue Moon"
"The Machine Stops"
"The Midas Plague"
"E for Effort"
"The Big Front Yard"
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Science Fiction Hall of Fame.