Paige Knorr's Reviews > The Lions of Al-Rassan

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay

Jul 11, 12

How does one talk about GGK?

I could mention the intricacy of his plot lines, and how things on both the smallest and grandest of scales get the reader's full attention, and how they focus on morality, religion, human actions and reactions, a true spectrum of what the real world is like - not black and white.

I could mention how concretely he evokes emotion and real compassion for the lives of the characters and the things that happen in them. How you really Feel what's going on.

I could mention the detail and colour he weaves into a story, the vividness of the pictures he creates in your mind.

Or I could mention the depth of his characterization, and the fact that even minor characters in his novels have fears, dreams, sadnesses, joys, and that we get to experience them. That we are privy to the humanity of these men and women, and are allowed inside their worlds, to stand in their shoes and properly understand how a conflict or event is seen from so many different angles, depending on how it affects that person's life. That we understand their motivations and the ways in which they are torn. That creating intensely human characters (and then writing in a manner to shine their light into our minds) is GGK's greatest strength as a writer, and the reason I read his books.

Yes, I suppose, that is how one talks about GGK.

This book is a stunning example of what this author does best. Until this, my favourite of his works was Tigana, but there may well be a tie now.

If you're interested in political intrigue, and a story that sucks you in and plops you squarely inside the world he has created, so much that you fall in love with the characters as thoroughly as if they were real people, not ink on paper, and you end up living in that world in your head for days and weeks and months afterwards - then I would recommend this book, highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lions of Al-Rassan.