Adam's Reviews > Botany for Gardeners

Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: appleton-public-library, non-fiction, science, sustainable-agriculture, botany, british-naturalists-scientists
Read from April 23 to 26, 2011

Botany for Gardeners is an excellent intro to botany for anyone. Luckily, gardeners in this context seems to simply refer to anyone who wants to learn about botany outside of a school course and from a book that isn't a textbook (unlike several other agroecology-focused books I've read recently that were more about gardening advice somewhat informed by science than about the science itself).

While perhaps not as compelling as David Attenborough's The Private Life of Plants, Botany for Gardeners had much more of the basic how-plants-work knowledge that I was seeking at the moment. Attenborough's book focuses on the really incredible natural history of plants all around the world, rather than their basic biology. If you're really interested in plants, I'd suggest you read both, but start with this one.

The only qualm I had with the book was that he kept talking about fungi as though they belonged in a book about botany. He did clarify that they are not plants, but then went right on saying things like "Plants like fungi this, other plants that." Highly unprofessional.

After finishing the book, I skimmed my Intro Biology textbook's chapter on plants. While Capon is a more compelling, tolerable writer, the textbook was substantially more informative.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Botany for Gardeners.