Heather Acker's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

May 06, 11

Read from April 23 to May 06, 2011

Don't let Stephenie Meyer's review on the cover fool you, for the fan of educated fantasy literature, this is perfect. True, there are vampires and werewolves and faeries, even. The humanity of it all is what draws you in. From beginning to end the reader is hit with surprise after surprise with all sorts of twists and turns along the way. I identified with Clary more than I have identified with a character in a long time. She is so relate-able. She's a nerd, but she's smart. She's into really dorky things, but she's very artistic. The end is a shocker, but I've been told that the entire series is amazing. I'm so invested in these characters and their lives. I'm rooting for them. Although it took me an entire week to read it, I felt like it went very fast and as soon as it was over, I wanted more. I'm glad I bought the whole series so I can keep going!

Also, it was written very well. Not only is the story a great story, but it is told in an artistic and beautiful manner. The author doesn't forget the little details of thought processes, especially the complicated thought processes of teenagers.

There's adventure, romance, magic, family, and the depths and ties of true friendship. I'd recommend this one to anybody.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Quotes Heather Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Don't touch any of my weapons without my permission."
"Well, there goes my plan for selling them all on eBay," Clary muttered.
"Selling them on what?"
Clary smiled blandly at him. "A mythical place of great magical power.”

Cassandra Clare
“Declarations of love amuse me. Especially when unrequited.”

Cassandra Clare
“It wouldn't be my move," Jace agreed. "First the candy and flowers, then the apology letters, then the ravenous demon hordes. In that order.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.”

Cassandra Clare
“It's not gray," Clary felt compelled to point out. "It's green."
"If there was such a thing as terminal literalism, you'd have died in childhood," said Jace.”

“It's a coffee cup."
She could hear the irritation in her own voice. "I know it's a coffee cup."
"I can't wait till you draw something really complicated, like the Brooklyn Bridge or a lobster. You'll probably send me a singing telegram.”

Cassandra Clare
“Where there is love, there is often also hate. They can exist side by side.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sorry, are you telling me that your demon-slaying buddies need to be driven to their next assignment with the forces of darkness by my mom?”

“All knowledge hurts.”

Cassandra Clare
“And next time you're planning to injure yourself to get me attention, just remember that a little sweet talk works wonders.”

Cassandra Clare
“Not everything that's true needs to be said.”

Cassandra Clare
“That's why when major badasses greet each other in movies, they don't say anything, they just nod. The nod means, 'I' am a badass, and I recognize that you, too, are a badass,' but they don't say anything because they're Wolverine and Magneto and it would mess up their vibe to explain.”

Cassandra Clare
“The most terrible things men do, they do in the name of love."— Madame Dorothea”

Cassandra Clare
“She had imagined Jace leaping from the bed in astonishment and gasping something like "Egad!" This didn't happen-largely, she suspected, because Jace had seen much stranger things in his life, and also because nobody used the word "Egad!" anymore. His eyes widened, though.”

04/28/2011 page 100