Mary 's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: fiction, british-lit

I read this book in 2006 when I saw it in a new authors section at B&N I can honestly say that this story has never left my thoughts. First the brilliance of Shriver choosing to write this entirely in the epistolary form. Odd at first yet by the time you are done reading it is hard to imagination any other way this could have been told to the reader. I knew nothing about this book or author when I came across it other than it had some decent reviews and the story sounded interesting. To go into this gripping subject material was a challenge- difficult theme yet hard to turn away. I hope not too many have heard too much detail since this is a soon to be released movie. I have not decided if I will see the film or not- I am often disappointed with adaptation. One last thing about this book is its effect on parents- my son was already an adult when I read this so I wondered how this would be received by parents of teen-agers. It is haunting in its psychology and pointed in descriptions. I think this is a love it or hate it novel with very little middle ground.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. This book has been on my TBR for YEARS! People that read it rave about it. Now seeing your 5 stars is nudging me again to get to it!

Mary It is a difficult (emotionally) book yet I am a firm believer that situations that scare us or we can't comprehend, especially relating to family, is when we jump in and try to understand. I hope you like this- let me know how it's going as you read it! :)

message 3: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. I think my library has it. Maybe I will get it over the weekend and take it away with me over Thanksgiving for airplane reading.

Mary Have a Happy Thanksgiving Diane!

message 1: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Thanks, Marzie. And I just ordered this from my library. Paws crossed it comes in from another branch by next Wednesday.