Novels On The Run's Reviews > Glass Houses

4119908
Apr 25, 11

Read from April 21 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy

MARISSA'S REVIEW:

Glass Houses was quite easy to sit down and read. I found it enjoyable, entertaining and event filled with some action, suspense and a touch of romance.
The house was well described and easily pictured when Claire first drove up to it. And throughout the book, I pictured the rooms, staircase and entry with ease.
Rachel Caine described the surroundings very well and I found myself easily looking around the streets of Morganville and seeing it's "heads down" human pedestrians !

Claire Danvers is not quite 17 and wants to live a life of a more mature person - though her academics proves she is much smarter than your average 16 y/o, even smarter than 19 y/o - her social skills are still slightly juvenile......more along the lines of naive. She just needs to be given a chance - because clearly living in the dorm is just NOT good for her health - she'll probably end up dead from the likes of Monica Morrell and her "Monickettes" !

And what a piece of work Monica is.........she's down right violent and has it bad to seek revenge on Claire for humiliating her in front of some admirers. Her loyal minions are no better.

Eve, the innocent goth, befriends Claire when she comes looking for somewhere to live after a nasty Monica Moment! Eve lives with Shane and Michael in a very large house. Things just aren't what they seem to Claire and she starts noticing odd things.....not just about her new roommates - but about the residents of Morganville.

Michael Glass owns and lives in the house that Claire has moved into. There's something different about him - can't say too much there as it's a pretty good twist!! Now Micheal is one of the possible "teams" you'll be picking in this series!!! He sounds rather scrummy......but so does his other roommate Shane....and Shane's the one with the rebel streak in him. And yes.......I always fall for the rebels!!!!

Shane just has a something about him in this book that says to me......"yep this ones trouble but geez he's delicious!!".

Overall, Glass Houses is definitely a good start to The Morganville Vampire Series and has me intrigued and enjoying it to definitely want more! The characters did need a bit more depth in this book, but as the story developed, we are learning more and more about each of the four main characters from the house.

Those on the outside - well there's a good mix of good and bad and as per Monica and the dastardly Brandon - there's certainly the downright vicious, nasty and rotten ones!

ENJOY!
MARISSA

MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING: 4 SHANE & MICHAEL STARS!!

I really liked the title of this book, in relation to the story, the first book in the kick vampire butt , series. It had a couple meanings, you will have to read the book to find out.

Who knew having your laundry stolen would turn into 11 titled books , to date. ( Bite Club # 10, releases May 2nd 2011, Last Breath # 11 , releases 1st November 2011)

Claire Danvers, female lead, 16 nearly 17yrs old ( she likes to remind Shane & Michael), has got herself in a rather deadly pickle with Monica Morell , ( queen bitchie) on her campus. It doesn’t take much to be targeted by Monica and the Monickettes and she doesn’t forgive or forget , she will hunt you down and inflict pain..... or worse.

Cue missing laundry....

Survival mode kicks in and Claire takes charge of her battered life and answers an advert to share accommodation.

Enter , Eve , the gothic chick, Shane and the mysterious Michael who brings a whole new meaning to the graveyard shift.

Eve, has quite a casual attitude towards the dangers lurking, until she realises how close to her doorstep they really are. She has a good heart, maybe too trustworthy. Eve works nights at ‘Common Ground’ cafe, her ‘hippee’ boss Oliver, is always looking out for her.

Michael is the head of the house and the mature, sensible one. Shane appears a bit of a slacker, but he will have your back if you need it.

The small College town of Morganville is not what it seems. It has very, very dark secrets. Morganville is not safe after dark, unless you have protection, even that can be revoked.

Shane has seen some very dark days of his own and only knows too well the dangers, lurking. Claire is oblivious but is a fast learner. She has to be.

Shane isn’t looking for trouble, Claire can’t help but bring trouble, now Shane is endeavouring to keep them both out of trouble. Mysterious Michael can only do so much.

There’s something the vampires want, Claire pulls a Nancy Drew, does some creative snooping, all is revealed, so she thinks... who knew going to College was this difficult.

I really enjoyed Glass Houses. There were a couple wobbly bits in the storyline, but hey , 10 books later Rachel is still writing this series, obviously the storyline really grows and the characters really grow.

There is no real romance, some looks between characters, hand holding, bit of smooching, but Claire is ‘jail bait’ , so understandable.

‘Glass Houses’ , is more world building, getting to know the characters, establishing why humans even live in Morganville when they know vampires rule Morganville .

The latter half of the book, the pace really picked up and the ending, AAGGghhhGGhhh!! Bit of a cliffhanger.

I usually have a Team guy that is on my t-shirt by the end of a book. I don't really have my Team guy from this book...hopefully I will have a Team guy by end of The Dead Girls Dance....* walks off ..sad face* ..teamless...hee..hee.

I’m glad I have 8 more books lined up ready to read, no waiting!!! Plus ‘Bite Club ‘ releasing May 2nd 2011.

I can’t wait to read how the story unfolds and grows in Rachel’s vampire town and where she takes her characters . I’ve already cracked open book # 2 , ‘The Dead Girls Dance’....... intriguing title.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glass Houses.