Robert's Reviews > Star Trek 4

May 01, 11

bookshelves: scifi, short-fiction
Recommended for: Blish fans; Star Trek fans
Read from April 27 to May 01, 2011, read count: 1

James Blish books are like chocolate: I think, I'll have a nibble. Then I have another nibble. Shortly there-after I find that I've consumed the entire bar (or book) and immediately start searching for another. James Blish is particularly good when I'm ill or feeling down; it's easy to read yet thought provoking. If I really don't want to think, then it's usually a rollicking adventure story, too.

I've read nigh-on everything else Blish wrote, leaving the Star Trek books to last because I thought they could not be as good as his independent material. It turns out they aren't, but they are still fun and enjoyable and distinctively Blish who seems to have, Zen-like, mastered Style - No Style in his writing. So this is like slightly cheaper chocolate, Cadbury's milk chocolate, rather than dark Cote D'Or or Lindt. But it's still chocolate...is there any more?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Trek 4.

04/29/2011 page 117
04/30/2011 page 134
100.0% 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie enabler!

Robert Disabler!

message 3: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse But I always feel so guilty and dirty when I read Cadbury's milk chocolate.

Robert I think you such feelings are entirely unjustified! Nowt wrong with some Cadbury's!

message 5: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse Except it's all sugar and nothing much good left of the chocolate. It's highly addictive, because of the sugar. And I've been eating too much sugar lately.