Lea (YA Book Queen)'s Reviews > Imaginary Girls

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Apr 23, 2011

bookshelves: for-review, netgalley, otspsecretsister-wishlist
Read from April 27 to 28, 2011

Very unique and intriguing to read. It transcended it's contemporary roots and became almost...supernatural? I liked it, a lot. Full review to come :)

UPDATE
-----------
Review: Imaginary Girls is a haunting tale of two sisters and the power sisterhood can have.

Chloe has always been "Ruby's sister" to everyone in her town. Ruby is magnetic and powerful there, the girl everyone loves and listens to. So much so, Chloe thinks that there isn't anything her sister can't do. When Chloe comes back to town to live with her sister, she finds that things have changed. People listen to Ruby more than Chloe realized...and Ruby may have more power and deadly secrets than Chloe could ever imagine.

The pacing is slow going at first, but once the mysteries surrounding Ruby and London start being revealed, the pace picks up. Plot-wise, it's difficult to say anything more than I've already said for fear of spoilers. There's this constant eerie undertone to Nova Ren Suma's words, and I was always left with questions and enough intrigue to keep going by the end of every chapter. When it began, I thought it was entirely contemporary. Yet, it transcended it's contemporary roots and delved into something supernatural and utterly unusual. I can honestly say I've never read anything like Imaginary Girls , and I want more of it.

Highlights: This book isn't about boys or romance, but instead the author focuses on sisters, family. Yes, there are a few "romance" moments, but the familial bond is the more important aspect. Ruby herself is so magnetic, hypnotic, and very much like a firework - she sparkles, shines, she's might be dangerous, but you just want to get closer. The underwater city of Olive was especially interesting to me, and I wish we could know more about it. The magical realism, the secrets, the twists, the reveals, and the surprising conclusion were all welcome highlights to Imaginary Girls .

Lowlights: The first couple chapters after the intro almost put me off the story completely. It took some time to get into the author's writing, the slow pacing, but I found it worthwhile once I made it further into the book. The focus on Ruby was a bit overwhelming at times as well, but I did get used to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imaginary Girls.

04/27/2011 page 212
60.0% "I thought things were weird before, but things are getting even weirder...still, it's strangely addictive to read."
04/27/2011 page 215
61.0% "*awkward* It's never good when you try to tell someone what to do in their own house."
04/27/2011 page 225
64.0% "Ruby is gonna be pissed off if she finds out this! I like it! ;)"
04/27/2011 page 269
76.0% "This is getting really good...Can't wait to see how it all ends."

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished this for the second time and somehow I am beginning to believe it is purely contemporary and that the story is about Chloe's loss of Ruby all along. I think it's the best written book I've read in years. EVERY WORD COUNTS. Maybe we can talk more. I am going to give it another read.