Rebecca A. Rogers's Reviews > Spellbound

Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: arc, for-review, paranormal-romance, witches-wizards
Read from June 01 to 18, 2011

**ARC Courtesy of NetGalley

3.5/5 stars

Spellbound is one of those stories that’s like a car wreck—you just can’t stop looking. Okay, bad analogies aside, it took me about seventy pages before I could immerse myself in the story. Nothing really happens up until that point, except that the main characters are introduced. We have Emma, the new girl who just moved to town because her stepfather is an alcoholic and was drunk when he picked her up from school one day, then wrecked the vehicle they were in, almost killing them. So, now Emma lives with her aunt in New York, where she attends Vincent Academy, a private school for the rich.

You want to know why this book was like a car wreck? Well, I’ll tell you. It’s not the fact that this book was written well; it’s the fact that I literally laughed out loud consistently. I honestly don’t remember the last time I’ve read a book that made me do this (which is sad, people!).

There was an instant, love-at-first-sight connection between Emma and the hottest guy at school, Brendan Salinger, which made me go “bleeechhh,” roll my eyes and almost barf on myself. HOWEVER, the reason for this is explained later on. I wish the romance aspect and why they’re destined to be together would’ve been explained earlier, because I almost dropped this book based on the relationship. Luckily, the plot redeems itself.

The reason I didn’t round this up to 4 stars is because Brendan doesn’t sound like Brendan as the relationship progresses. He gets sappier and sappier. I wanted him to keep his bad-boy persona, but he just loses it. Like, I’m pretty sure he flushed his personality down the toilet. Or, he’s a totally different person in disguise. Because, let me tell you, he frustrated me to no end with constant I’llalwaysbethereforyous. OKAY! We get it. Jeez. I heard you the first 100 times. If he were my boyfriend, I would’ve slapped him with my pimp hand, just to bring him back to reality.

The other reason I didn’t give this 4 stars was because the villain is predictable. We know who he is and we know what he’ll do after a certain incident involving (view spoiler). I did find myself tense, however, during the climax. I wasn’t sure if Emma and/or Brendan would actually make it, so that was good to see.

Overall, I enjoyed this book; it kept me laughing and the storyline was different than most books out there.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spellbound.

06/12/2011 page 36
06/14/2011 page 44
14.0% "Sigh... IDK about this book. :/"
06/15/2011 page 93
31.0% ""Wow, are you psychic, too?"
"No, I have caller ID."

LMAO! This book is hilarious."
06/17/2011 page 145
48.0% "Is it okay to use text language in dialogue/narrative when you're not actually referring to a text? hmm.."
06/17/2011 page 227
75.0% ""Phone, now," I demanded, opening my palm and trying to summon it from my nightstand. Shocker--it didn't move an inch. "You're a witch, not a Jedi, Emma."

LMFAO"
show 2 hidden updates…

Ashelynn are you liking it? I see you didn't at first.

Rebecca A. Rogers It's taken a while to get into. And the attraction between the MC and LI is instant. *rolls eyes* BUT--there's a reason, which isn't explained until later. The first 70 or so pages is just setting everything up. IDK... I like books to get to the point. lol

Ashelynn Ah. Gotcha. I have it on my iPad to review, but I'm still struggling through Legacy.

Rebecca A. Rogers Guuh. I'm dreading that one. lol So I'll be reviewing Cinder and Ella next.

Ashelynn haha.

Devon Ashley hmm...still got this in my ARC queue too. Not sure if I'll get to it anytime soon.

Rebecca A. Rogers It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. However, it did keep me constantly laughing, which was a good thing. :)