Psychophant's Reviews > Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth

Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth by J.R.R. Tolkien

Mar 23, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, reviewed
Read in August, 1990

This is simply a moneymaking scheme. After the success of the Silmarillion, the Tolkien state has published all notes that were in a more or less readable state. This is the only one I bought (besides Chidren of Hurin, which probably has much in common with the bigger part of this book).

I do not think Professor Tolkien would have liked to have these drafts and notes published. Many of them are even obsolete, as he built up and discarded elements in his mythic construct.

There are some great storytelling moments (specially in the tales about Hurin and his children), but mostly it is not so interesting, except in an academic way, to see how Tolkien constructed and evolved his stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Bateman Moneymaking scheme? No shit Sherlock. Like any book is published without the intention of making money. How is this any different from any other publication trying to make money?

Psychophant In this case the author's name is used on material he did not wish to see printed. Unauthorized tales might be a more accurate title. Few authors publish after their death, and less so profusely.

Making money is part of what brings us most books. Seldom is it the sole reason.

Curtis "Few authors publish after their death, and less so profusely." – I would dare say none do....

Isaac From your response it seems that you didn't read the introduction. Christopher specifically states his father thought the appendices of the series were too short for those who were essentially nerds but too long for the romantic adventure reader. Christopher specifically compiled these accounts to satisfy the nerds.

Ainur I agree that J R R Tolkien wouldn't like to have all his notes published, but they're so awesome that Christopher couldn't NOT publishe them!

David Sarkies I agree, there was probably no need to publish this book for the general population (though I suspect that there are people out there that would gobble up anything of Tolkiens).