Mike Knox's Reviews > Toyota Production System: Beyond Large-Scale Production

M_50x66
Apr 23, 11

bookshelves: business-leadership, non-fiction
Read in March, 2011 — I own a copy

In this book Taiichi Ohno, one of Toyota’s famous innovators, discusses the Toyota Production System (TPS) that he developed. So much of what he says is simple. He surely wasn’t the first business leader to focus on reducing the time line “from the moment the customer gives us an order to the point when we collect the cash” (ix). And the TPS doesn’t seem very profound when he states that its’ “most important objective…has been to increase production efficiency by consistently and thoroughly eliminating waste” (xii).

And yet the underlying concept of a pull system rather than a push system, and the mechanisms for implementation (just-in-time, autonomation, and kanban) are anything but simple. Toyota’s entrance into and dominance within the automobile industry is an amazing story of innovation and challenging existing assumptions.

I also appreciated Taiichi Ohno’s respect for humanity. While Toyota tries to eliminate workers from its payroll in order to achieve profits, they seek to respect the workers they do employ by making them responsible for their quality and by organizing processes so that no one is just watching a machine.

Though this is the Toyota production system, the applicability of the concept for any type of business is emphasized throughout the book (e.g. p.9).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toyota Production System.