Shannon's Reviews > One Good Turn

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson

Apr 23, 11

Read in April, 2011

I enjoyed Case Histories by Kate Atkinson, so I thought I'd give One Good Turn a try. Like its predecessor, it features Jackson Brodie. Jackson's a likable character and I found myself feeling a lot like him as I read his internal dialogue in this book. One Good Turn finds Jackson in Edinburgh with his girlfriend, who is there to act in a play at the annual festival. Through a series of events, he finds himself embroiled in a series of small - and not so small - crimes.

It's been a while since I read Case Histories, but I enjoyed the multiple story lines of that book better than this time around. One Good Turn has a different narrator for each chapter and while it wasn't confusing to read, it also didn't seem to offer any particular insight to me as the reader. The plot lines in this book were also more closely linked, so that it felt more like one story told in different ways rather than a pulling together of several distinct stories.

At one point I considered not finishing this book at all, but I ultimately decided I cared enough about the book to find out what happened. I did find the last fifty pages redeemed the book a bit for me. Those final chapters bumped my rating from two stars to three and offered a few surprising plot twists that I hadn't seen coming. Even so, the best I can say of One Good Turn is that if you're in the mood for a classic mystery read, this is a great choice for you. If you're looking for a great book, you'll need to look elsewhere. Which is what I plan to do. After several two or three star books in a row, I'm really craving an excellent book that will transport me, absorb my attention and engage my emotions. Suggestions welcome.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Good Turn.