Elizabeth's Reviews > Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return

Apr 23, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: eng-492, graphic-novel
Read in April, 2011

Marjane's struggle continues in Austria and later in Iran. Trying to find a comfortable place in life has become difficult for Marjane while living in Austria. Nothing she tries seems to be working. Hence, she decides to return to Iran to be with her family. Upon her return, she goes through many phases that eventually results in contentedness. But how long can Marjane be happy with her life in a repressive Iran when she has such a strong-willed spirit?

Persepolis II does not have the same focus as the first book. The first one focused on her and her parents part in the Islamic Revolution. The second book focuses on Marjane coping with her life as an Iranian women growing up first in Austria and then in Iran. It reflects the difficulties she experienced while living in Austria. Because I was initially interested with the series because of the focus on the Iranian Revolution, I did not like the second book as much as the first one. I was hoping to learn more about the revolution itself rather than Marjane coping with her personal life.

The book could be taught as a coming of age unit, but I probably would not use it. The constant topic of sex and some of the language would push me away from teaching it. I also did not find as much teaching opportunities with this book as I did with the first one. So although it may have some teaching potential, I would prefer the first book in the classroom in comparison to the second.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persepolis 2.