Kathryn's Reviews > Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 by Hayao Miyazaki

May 08, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novel-manga
Read from April 29 to May 06, 2011

I will start out by saying that you could slap a sticker printed with from Hayao Miyazaki! on any form of entertainment and I guarantee I'll enjoy it.

So I haven't seen the movie, but that will soon change as I just purchased a copy. I'll be stuffing popcorn in my mouth come next weekend.

I also just learned that this is book 1 of a 7 book series, as long as I have my volumes correct. Count on me to purchase something for the name and then not have the rest of the series on hand when I really want to read it.

I read this is two sittings but I could have easily stretched it out over a few days. Each panel is incredibly detailed and with everything in black and white, differentiating between, for example, the creatures and the forest became difficult. The action sequences were a mess at times. From my experience, action sequences are best served simple and concise. The reader's eyes want to quickly follow the action and upon being forced to slow down, the entire story may stall. Though there are benefits to forcing a reader to slow down, I think it tends to detract from the action, by not elevating the sequence to the level I prefer.

Anything else I have to say about this work is positive. I loved the setting, the post-apocalyptic world of giant insects and the whole idea of total ecological devastation by god warriors. The story has incredible potential and I am excited to get my hands on the next volume.

5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1.

message 1: by Logan (new)

Logan You just reminded me that I wanted to get this for my son. We have every other Miyazaki movie that would interest a 3 y/o except for this one. I'm always happy that these are his favorites, considering all the crap that's out there that he could like. It's interesting to have a kid who won't watch computer generated animation.

Kathryn I understand. My main reason for buying these is to hold onto them until I can pass them down to my boys. :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Best manga, best animated film.

Kathryn Good. Makes me feel better about an impulse buy.

Mariel I have the whole series because my ex bought them for me.

Kathryn Ahh, at least you got something good out of the relationship. :)

I was on ebay just now looking for the complete set but it seems I'll be stuck buying the rest individually.