Kathryn's Reviews > Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1: Cut Here

Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1 by Mike Carey

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel-manga, fantasy, gruesome-horror
Read on April 27, 2011

I am torn between 3 and 4 stars. No, torn is too strong of a word. I am simply not feeling strong enough about any aspect of this piece to rate more than 3 stars.

The story is original and entertaining but I have read enough of Carey to know that his spark felt slightly dimmed within these pages. The idea is excellent, involving Japanese kami interacting with our world, but the story was not dense enough for me. I did not like the father's storyline one bit, though the other characters were quite promising. The art is solid, just nothing that blew me away.

I remember feeling unsure of Carey's Lucifer series until the 2nd and 3rd collection. That series ended up as one of my favorites, to rival Sandman even. I loved Carey's Hellblazer run, and he came into the series far from the beginning. I am starting to think that Carey just takes some time to warm a story up, to get everything flowing. I am more than happy to let a good story steep but I am concerned since the Crossing Midnight run is only 3 trades long. That may not be long enough for a truly satisfying Carey tale to develop. Either way, I will eventually get my hands on the next two, though I am in no dire rush to do so.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1.