Julene's Reviews > What Stillness Illuminated: Poems in English, Yiddish, and Hebrew

What Stillness Illuminated by Yermiyahu Ahron Taub

Apr 23, 11

bookshelves: poetry

This book of poetry uses a self-created form of five lines in each poem, also each poem is mirrored in Yiddish. I love his Afterward, where he speaks to the inception of this book and it's form. He sees the book as a valentine to the art academy. Broken into three sections he uses the exercise of croquis or the warm-up brief sketches artists use, so the poems are brief scenes, which he captures perfectly in these five line slices of life. In the first section that holds the title of the book, we enter historical war time in the first section, real people in the midst of a war with the details of their life. How intrigued I am in each poem to know more, but really how much can we know about the internal minutes of war, it is washed away. So he captures minutes. This is the distant section. Then, in the second section of the book, Shadow Men: Eros, he turns the book slowly into more present time into the realm of intimate connections. And in the final section "Gleams" he moves into abstractions.

This is a brave and wonderful book by a thoughtful and diverse artist.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Stillness Illuminated.