Lorraine's Reviews > Immortality

Immortality by Milan Kundera

Apr 23, 2011

I have to say I was won over by the book. At first, it annoyed me -- I thought Kundera was trying to be clever. But then as I continued reading I realised the overall structure of the novel, and I realised he wasn't trying to be clever: he was sincerely trying to understand desire and love. Kundera is very intelligent and it shows -- there is a lot one could think about with regards to love and desire -- a lot of interesting ideas in the novel which he tries to understand. He is not really the most visionary writer but he certainly is very sensitive and intelligent. Kundera is just as lost as the reader is, where such emotions are concerned, and I find that admission of humility touching. The artists he discusses are spot on, at least where I'm concerned: if you want to talk about love -- Rilke, Goethe, Beethoven. Kundera writes with an intuitive understanding of great art and a critical mind, and it is a powerful combination. The book will take you where you want to go. But it will not tell you where you want to go, and in that sense some people might find it confusing and not so enjoyable.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortality.