Shinn's Reviews > The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Apr 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011, detective, humour, mystery, not-owned, rural, society
Read in April, 2011

I haven't read an Agatha Christie since high school, not counting one lazy day at work two years ago when I hastily read through The Mysterious Affair at Styles. In any case, I haven't read as many of her books as I could have, given her popularity with those around me. I was looking for a light read and the much talked about twist in this book piqued my curiosity, as did its apparent position as one of the most influential crime novels.

Alas, I have the horrible habit of guessing the perpetrator in a whodunit and, without sounding too conceited, I have to say that I am right more often than not, and this was no exception. In most crime novels it is easy: it is the character the reader would least suspect. I had my suspicions in place by chapter 4 and by chapter 17 I was more or less convinced. However, despite managing to spoil the twist for myself, I enjoyed the book, at least by trying to find evidence to support my conjectures. Besides, there are other mysteries in the book and a host of well-etched out characters: I particularly enjoyed the banter between Dr. Shepperd and his sister Caroline.

In any case, this has renewed my interest in Christie's mysteries and I'm looking forward to reading other books that I missed out - Murder on the Orient Express would be a good start I think.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.