Christina's Reviews > Third Girl from the Left

F 50x66
Jun 27, 11

bookshelves: 52-books-in-52-weeks, books-i-would-read-over-and-over
Read from June 16 to 26, 2011

This book seems to be highly underrated. I had never heard of the author before I read this book, and now I would love to read more of her work. This book was a great wholesome read. The characters were realistic and well developed, along with the plot of the story was easy to follow and understand. After the first 30 pages, the story thickens, and it is a page turner from there. This book dealt with a number of issues that came out of the 60's and 70's era. Issues such as racism, blaxploitation, film, Hollywood, pursuit of happiness, failure, and secret loves. This book spanned the life of 3 women through 3 generations, and how the love of movies connected them all together as a family.

Third girl from the left told of how a young woman set out on her own from the country in search of a better life, trying to become famous, but always facing the sad reality that she was never going to be the star. Playing 3rd rate roles in many blaxploitation movies, Angela soon grew to let her life play out without forcing things to happen. Her most successful event happened to be the the third girl from the left in the classic film Coffey, but she still never caught a break, ended up pregnant, and having to learn love the hard way, while trying to escape the family she never wanted people to know about.

Three generations came together when Angela came to her mother's sick bed with a daughter no one ever seen. In the end, all 3 women learned alot about each other, their family, and the history of where they came from.

I could relate to many of the emotions laid out in this book. I was deeply engrossed in the plot, and thoroughly enjoyed the ups and downs of each character. I would recommend this book to everyone, and would rate this book a 4.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Third Girl from the Left.

06/16/2011 page 1