Mary Aris's Reviews > A Modern Witch

A Modern Witch by Debora Geary

Apr 23, 2011

Read from April 13 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy

I enjoyed Debbie Geary's book, A Modern Witch. This was a well-written, funny, and original book about one of my favourite topics.......witches. I have always had a fascination for witches and their craft, especially on Halloween. Not that I am a witch, of course, but I have always loved stories about witches since I was a child and read Hansel and Gretel, Baba Yaga and the Wizard of Oz. Who can resist the Wicked Witch of the West? Geary presents the witch in a thoroughly modern light. Gone are the pointy hats and broomsticks. Gone are the visions of old hags in front of a cauldron stirring eyes of newt. Witches live amongst us...they are everywhere. Just log into a supermarket and into the ice-cream section and Zap--there you'll be transported to witch central. That's exactly what happened to Lauren, a great Realtor in Chicago who ran out of ice-cream and decided to tap into an online supermarket unbeknownst that this site had a spell that would track witches and link them all to a witches' chat moderated by three witches, Sophie, Moira, and Nell.

Lauren doesn't believe she is a witch. How can she be? She doesn't do magick. She doesn't even own a broomstick or a cauldron. Nell employs her brother, Jamie, a witch trainer, to work with Lauren and try to assess her powers and convince her she really is a witch. To her surprise, Lauren is a mind-witch. Well, isn't it obvious when she has a knack of matching clients with their ideal homes? This is a talent that she has dismissed for ages until Jamie convinces her that she has mind powers beyond her control. With his help, Lauren learns how to harness her powers and control the voices in her head, teaching her how to fine tune the many thoughts coming from other people's minds. Geary writes about the lighter side of witchcraft and weaves a story about camaraderie and community; about the relationship and bond of friendship and family within the witching community.

This is not the kind of book to get into if you're looking for gory spells or cannibalistic rituals or black magick witches . There is nothing scary in this book....this is the kind of book to read for fun. It has humour; it has a bit of romance, and plenty of witches. The book is witty, light, and leaves one in the mood for the fun side of Halloween. I commend the author on such a delightful read or write, for that matter. Thanks for crafting such a good book! I am looking forward to read more of this author's many spellbinding books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Modern Witch.