Regine's Reviews > Les Liaisons Dangereuses

Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos

May 04, 11

bookshelves: classics, bucket-list-books

Whenever Hollywood attempts to do a "modern" adaptation of classic literature by throwing together a caste of up-and-coming teenage hearthrobs, it's usually a fail. Great Expectations starring Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow: Fail. Romeo and Juliet starring Leonardo Dicaprio and Claire Daines: Fail. O starring Leelee Sobieski and Josh Hartnett: Let's make that a double Shakespeare Fail.

However, reading Les Liaisons Dangereusesmakes me appreciate the artistry, yes the artistry that went into making its 90's teenage counterpart, Cruel Intentions. This book sounded so promising: It's a satire of the moral ambiguity of French aristocracy, a cat and mouse game of seduction, and it contains two of the most scandalous villains in the form of Merteuil and Valmont. My freakin ass.

Merteuil and Valmont were indeed scandalous, but I just got so sick and tired of the repetitive nature of the letters and the naivety of the other characters. By the time that Merteuil and Valmont had ruined everybody, I had stopped caring. This would be a typical letter exchange that would go on in the book:

Danceny: I love you Cecile.
Cecile: I love you Danceny. But I'm not allowed to, so stop writing me.
Danceny: I couldn't possibly. I will die without your love.
Cecile: Okay, keep writing me. I love you so much.
Danceny: I love you too. Proclaim your love for me again. Or else I will die.
Cecile: Okay, I love you. But my mom says I'm not allowed. Looks like you better stop writing me. Again.
Danceny: Never. I love you too much to ever stop writing.

A few things that saved the book was the erotic sense of humour in the work (at one point, Valmont uses a naked woman as his writing desk), and de Laclos' ability to write unique characters.

Other than that, watching Sarah Michelle Gellar get her just desserts to The Verve is much more entertaining than reading this book. 2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Liaisons Dangereuses.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

K.D. Absolutely How many times can you say the same thing over and over again? Just read Dangerous Liaisons and you will find out.

Very true!

message 2: by mark (new)

mark monday what did you think of Valmont and Dangerous Liaisons?

Regine Dangerous Liaisons was really good. I thought that Glenn Close was perfect as Merteuil.

Valmont was okay. I thought Colin Firth was sexy, as usual, but Anette Bening was a little bit over the top for me.

Holly I definitely preferred Valmont to Dangerous Liasons......but then, I am a huge fan of Milos Foreman. Valmont was just lighter and more fun.....Valmont's aunt was a stitch; loved her!