Linda's Reviews > Rebel - Episode 1: Season One

Rebel - Episode 1 by Ben Aaronovitch

Apr 23, 11

bookshelves: heard, science-fiction
Read in April, 2011

This audio drama, has quite a few redeeming qualities in my eyes (or should I say ears) at least:
1. First of all it's Blake's 7 - while it does not live up to the standard set by the late 70s/early 80s science fiction show, it still has the feeling of it.
2. It's the perfect length for an hour long run and it's interesting enough for me not to switch to music which I generally find more enjoyable.
3. While the production and voice acting isn't as brilliant as I would like, it's far from monotonous, with good background effects and the general science fictioney feel.
4. They have actually managed to cram science fiction that's on the hard end in an audio-drama, which is admirable.
5. This simply is the first audio-book which I have managed to finish. It might just be because it's also the first audio-book I've tried listening to while running and the first one that hasn't been exceptionally boring, so 5 is more or less a combination of 2 and 3.

There are of course several drawbacks. Most notably - it's a modified retelling of the first two episodes of the original series. The plotline is shifted around a bit, there are new characters and events introduced and a good deal of the old ones are changed and it's adjusted to have a greater emphasis on realistic science, but it's still a retelling. Since it's a relatively new production, I would have imagined it would have been more feasible to connect the new with the old, not just renew. But it depends greatly on the personal preference, I suppose.
There's also the question of the actors chosen for the roles. Again my prejudice towards how awesome the original actors were probably comes into the play. On several occasions I just kept thinking - get that pesky guy off the mic and put Paul Darrow on.
While it retains some degree of the initial series' dark humor and cynical attitude, it's a bit more light-hearted, which sadly doesn't tell much.

Overall - a good listen, I will most probably look into getting the next ones for future runs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel - Episode 1.