Suz's Reviews > Spider’s Revenge

Spider’s Revenge by Jennifer Estep

Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, arc, to-review
Read in July, 2011

Read ARC. Watch for my review at Paperback Dolls Blog on release day, September 27, 2011.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider’s Revenge.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Thompson This author is supposed to be at Romfest in Gatlinburg, TN next summer. Do you like her books?

message 2: by Suz (last edited Jul 25, 2011 04:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suz Tamara wrote: "This author is supposed to be at Romfest in Gatlinburg, TN next summer. Do you like her books?"

Hi Tamara! I've only read this series and have just acquired an ARC of this book to read and review by the release date. So I only have this series to speak about. Having said that, I like the world building she's done, and I like her characters. The protagonist is tough and, for the most part, unapologetic with just enough inner turmoil to be interesting without being too maudlin or predisposed to onerous self flagellation and too many stupid choices. She's pragmatic, and I like that a lot about a female protagonist. It's not something we see often enough in the genre, I think.

The series was originally set to be complete in five books, and the long arc is supposed to be wrapped up in this, the fifth book. I'm told, however, that Ms. Estep has extended her contract for this series so there will be a new villain arise from the ashes, so to speak.

My only negative commentary in this series is that the last book was extremely overly focused on bringing the reader up to speed on previous volumes. A significant percentage of the book was not only rehash, but it even repeated itself. It seemed as if that phenomenon grew with each book in the series and the last book was very disappointing due to the amount of rehash in it.

Still, I like the story and characters well enough to want to follow it and see how at least this arc ends. Whether I continue to follow the new arc will depend on how much of this book is devoted to rehash, I think.

It's an overall well constructed story with only a couple of flaws that I'm hopeful will be fixed in future volumes. My friends all like Ms.Estep and her books quite a lot, she has a pretty big following in my book circles. :)

Hope that helps.

message 3: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Thompson Oh wow! That was a lot of good information! Thank you for taking the time to write it. I'm excited about meeting this author, even if it is a year from now!! I'm thinking maybe that might give me enough time to check out her books. I know, a year is a lot of time, but I seriously struggle to have enough time for all the books I want to read! I don't like repitition in books, but since you say the story and characters are good, I think I will like them. Thanks again! :)

message 4: by Suz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suz Well, feel free to read my reviews of this series. I'm pretty sure I did light reviews on goodreads of each as I went along. I'm notorious for reading series back to back and try to at least put a blurb in after I finish one so that I'll be able to differentiate one from another. I think I gave three starts to books 1 & 4 and four stars to books 2 & 3. I certainly liked them well enough to read at least to the end of this long arc with Mab. She has another series she's releasing this year that she'll rapid release three books in a row, one book a month. You might want to look into those as well. :)

message 5: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Thompson Thanks again Suz!!!!!

Rebecca Seeing 4 stars is reassuring. I hope that partly means the rehashing was minimal.

message 7: by Suz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suz It was still present and semi-frustrating but I have to admit that my frustration was at least in part my own making as I was poised to be upset about it. There were only a few places where she seemed to repeat not only previous books storyline but what she'd just say a few chapters earlier. She did, however, find some ways to work things she'd already said into the immediate story to make them relevant, so that wasn't all bad. And it was an exciting conclusion to the Mab arc, as well as satisfying progress in her personal development and her relationship with owen. I recommend the read for folks who have already read all the previous ones, definitely. It closes up the Mab arc quite satisfactorily.