Heather (hungrycookiemonster)'s Reviews > Firelight

May 29, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, reviewed, supernatural
Read in May, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Original review posted on: heathersworldofbooks

Warning: This review showcases a bit of my sarcastic side.

This book is a prime example of, “read and judge for yourself.” I was a little reluctant to read this novel after the many negative reviews. Good thing I didn’t listen to any of them!

The biggest three complaints I have seen:
1. ‘Jacinda is too whiney and annoying.'
2. ‘Jacinda complains too much.’
3. ‘Jacinda is a very unhappy person.‘

See any connections? I do. Yes, Jacinda is very unhappy for a majority of this book. Why you may ask? Well, her mother and sister hate the fact that she is a dranki. They actually want her dranki to die. What better way to accomplish this than to move her to a desert waste land so she can suffer. Well, at least that whole dranki thing will go away. Then, her mother and sister won’t have to worry about that nuisance anymore.

This book brings family acceptance to a whole new level for me. I found myself asking the same questions throughout the entire book; “Does anyone care what Jacinda thinks?”, and “Is it humane to make a 16 year old girl suffer this way?”

As for the romance, I liked it. It was very innocent and really showcased how first loves can be awkward and hard. I loved the build up! Every time I thought Sophie Jordan was going to finally have them start a relationship, she pulled them apart unexpectantly. I feel like now a days, couples are just like… boom…we’re together now right off the bat. I really like this couple and I will look forward to reading about them in future books.

Oh, and holy cows dragons anyone? This was a good change up from my usual reads: vampires, werewolves, fallen angels, normal people, sparkly people, and more normal people.

Anyways, this is a super cool book. Read it! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.

05/10/2011 page 83
26.0% "This has to be the most selfish parent I have ever read."
05/11/2011 page 170
53.0% "Do I notice a similarity to Nightshade?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wilda Loved the review Heather!

I read Firelight not too long ago and I loved it. I don't get why everyone was complaining about Jacinda. She has every reason to complain and whine. A huge part of her was dying all b/c of her mother and her mother and sister didn't care. They even wanted it to! What kind of family would do that to their own daughter/sister?! I've never seen someone so selfish before -_-

And the romance played out perfectly. I loved Will. I thought he and Jacinda fit well together. As for Cassian, well I'm not a big fan but mainly cause of his father. I look forward to getting to know him better in Vanish.

Heather (hungrycookiemonster) I felt we really didn't get to know Cassian that well. I actually don't really care about him at all. Maybe the love triangle will develop more in the next book. I read the synopsis and it seems Jacinda will be spending a lot of time with Cassian.

Heather (hungrycookiemonster) Its once thing to want the best for your child but Jacinda was suffering physically and emotionally. I thought it was cruel.