Marin's Reviews > The Tin Roof Blowdown

The Tin Roof Blowdown by James Lee Burke

U 50x66
Feb 24, 2008

Read in February, 2008

This is the second Burke novel I've read, and I'm starting to really appreciate his style: passionately moral and teeth-grindingly realistic. Larger than life.

For some reason, this is the time of year that I like to read murder mysteries. This was an extremely satifying and intelligent shoot-'em-up mystery story. There was a strong good v. evil conflict and a big tangled mess of characters in a variety of colors and flavors. Loved it. The mess of characters doesn't get perfectly organized and explained by the end, but that didn't bother me too much.

This book is not for the faint of heart. It takes place in the days during and after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, and there's some really heavy stuff about the horrifying things that happened to the people who couldn't get out of the city in time. There is also disturbing material about war, rape, torture, and abuse. There are also some beautiful material about redemption and optimism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tin Roof Blowdown.

Libby I like your description of Burke as "passionately moral." His stories are ultimately about flawed and complex people who stand on the side of right, aren't they?