Catherine's Reviews > Dragon Bound

Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison

I made a mistake before reading this book and I wish I wouldn’t have. Usually when I know that I’ll be reading a book soon, I stay far away from reviews and conversations about the book. It’s not that I’m afraid I’ll be spoiled, it’s just that I don’t want to go into a book looking for a positive or a negative that someone else had. Often I’ll find myself focusing on things that I never would have noticed on my own, and I hate that. I want to go in blind and see what my raw reaction is.

Since I know this about myself, I rarely break this unwritten rule. But almost all of my Goodreads friends were reading this book! It seemed to be everywhere I looked on blogs and the status updates on Goodreads were too tempting to resist! So…I admit it, I cracked. I read all those updates and all of the resulting conversations. And my expectations started ramping up. I heard Dragos compared time and time again to Raphael from the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh. If it had been one or two people, I probably would have ignored it, but there were a lot of them saying that.

It’s not that Dragos was a bad hero, it’s just that I was expecting something else when I heard him likened to Raphael. I expected him to be dark, intense, and kind of scary. Even though I liked him, I felt like I was always waiting for that intensity. I just wish I hadn’t gone in expecting something else. The book suffered because I spent so much time looking for something that it lacked. Don’t be like me, people. Don’t let your expectations get the best of you.

Despite not seeing intensity in Dragos, I did see a lot to like. I loved how the author wrote him with such an animalistic personality. His behavior didn’t always fit with acceptable human behavior, but Pia took the differences in him well. His refusal to tell anyone—even his men—too much information about Pia was an example of the little quirks that made him seem dragon-like. He was secretive, jealously protective of what he considered “his”, and could be cold when the situation warranted it. I probably would have found the split second mood swings irritating in another man, but it didn’t bother me with Dragos. It just served as a nice example of how alien his thinking and behavior could be.

I was very hesitant about Pia in the beginning. I think I was supposed to sympathize with her, but I found her kind of whiny and irritating. The more I read about her, the more I liked her, but I continued to have problems with her throughout the book and never quite loved her the way most did.

I found it irritating that her behavior and personality seemed to vary throughout the book. She was strong and mouthy one minute, and overwhelmed and giving up the next. I didn’t need to her to be a badass, but I needed some consistency. She was incredibly impressive in a scene involving the goblins—I loved that whole interlude—but then she turned around and gave up after they were free. It was so frustrating! And did anyone else notice how often she slept and left Dragos to handle the situation in times of crisis?

Although I had issues with the characters, I liked Pia and Dragos together. They meshed well and they were refreshingly straightforward about their attraction to each other. It seemed a little abrupt in the beginning, but I just shrugged and went with it. Their playfulness and joking made their interactions fun and the chemistry between them was great. I laughed when Pia tried to teach Dragos manners and loved watching Dragos try to accustom himself to caring about her and wanting to please her.

I really liked the side characters and was pleased that they were more than just sequel bait. They were a lot of fun—especially the next book’s heroine, Tricks—and I loved that they were different from the shifters normally seen in PNR. Dragos’s team had gryphons, a gargoyle, thunderbirds (awesome!), and even a harpy. I’m really curious to get to see a thunderbird in the next book because I've never read about one before. I thought they all became BFF’s with the heroine a little too easily, but that’s not exactly unique to this book. I frequently find myself with that complaint in PNR.

I was very impressed with the author for choosing such unique paranormal species. I spent the whole book trying to figure out what Pia was and why her mom was so worried about her keeping it a secret. I had a few guesses, but I never came close. Kudos to the author for trying something so different!

There was a surprise development between Pia and Dragos that cropped up very close to the end. I did not like the fact that it was included at all. It almost dropped my grade to a 3 ½, but I enjoyed the rest of the book enough to not let it get to me that much. I just thought it was unnecessary and I had no sympathy for Pia’s irrational behavior.

Although I didn’t love it as much as most, and found the overall tone more light and funny than intense, I still thought it was a fun new PNR. I’m really looking forward to trying out the next book because Tricks was hilarious in this one. If you’re on the fence about this one, I say try it out. Besides, it has dragons! That’s so infrequent that I snatch them up whenever I hear about them.

Favorite Quote:

He dug his fingers into her hair and lifted up the strands. "I want some of your hair."

She lifted her head. "What?"

"I said I want some of your hair. Give me a lock and I'll forgive you for breaking and entering."

"Oh-kay. Sure." She squinted at him. "So I give you a lock of my hair, take you to the Elven border and drop you off?"

He laughed. "I never said I was letting you go. I just said I'll forgive you."

"I knew that had to be too easy," she muttered. "You're just not a straight road, are you?"

Review originally posted on Fiction Vixen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Bound.

05/14/2011 page 31
9.0% "Pia's not really thrilling me much. I hope that changes soon because I want to love this book the same way everyone else does." 17 comments
05/14/2011 page 64
19.0% "

"He paused, surprised again by her. He leaned against a wall. There was no telling what the lunatic in her body would say next."

- LOL"
05/14/2011 page 82
24.0% "

She lifted her head. "What?"

He laughed. "I never said I was letting you (cont.)

" 16 comments
05/14/2011 page 106
32.0% ""Payback was a beautiful bitch. She was also a good friend of his, and they were just getting started."" 5 comments
05/15/2011 page 196
58.0% "

"Fuck you," Dragos told him. "I'm not the boss of her."

- LOL! I guess if you repeat it enough it'll finally sink in." 10 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shay Is it good? Is it good? Is it good???

Karyn yes, is it any good? Wanna read this too..

Catherine Definitely enjoyable. I didn't love it quite as much as most did, but it was a fun read. It's going to get a 4 from me.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Everyone on the planet is reading this but me. Have you read anything else by this author and if so, how does it compare?

Catherine No, I haven't read anything else by her. I think this is her first book under this name. I heard she published previously as Amanda Carpenter though.

message 6: by Shay (last edited May 15, 2011 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shay A 4 star PNR with dragons?
I'll go for that! ***Yeah, I'm that easy***

Catherine Shay wrote: "A 4 star PNR with dragons?
I'll go for that! ***Yeah, I'm that easy***

:)"

I love dragons in PNR so I usually snatch them up whenever I see them.

message 8: by Ren (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ren UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Everyone on the planet is reading this but me. Have you read anything else by this author and if so, how does it compare?"

Don't worry UM , I'm not read it yet too ;)

Waiting your review , Catherine ^_^

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Glad you liked this one!

message 10: by Catherine (last edited May 15, 2011 09:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine Me too. I really wish I hadn't seen so many people comparing it to Singh's Guild Hunter series. Because everyone seemed to compare Dragos to Rafael Raphael I went in expecting big time intensity.

I should have steered clear of updates and conversations about it when I realized I was going to read it. That's what I usually do. My mistake.

But I was pleased with the read overall.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Catherine wrote: "Me too. I really wish I hadn't seen so many people comparing it to Singh's Guild Hunter series. Because everyone seemed to compare Dragos to Rafael I went in expecting big time intensity.

I sh..."

I'm glad I didn't compare Dragos to Rafael. I liked Dragos alot more than Rafael. It's dangerous in general to compare characters even though I do it all the time. You disappoint other people when they read the book because they expect similar characters.

I think, in this book, I really loved the style of writing.

Catherine Exactly. It's why I try to just liken writing styles instead of actual characters. I went into it expecting a hero that was dark, intense, and kind of scary. So even though I liked him I kept waiting for it, you know?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Catherine wrote: "Exactly. It's why I try to just liken writing styles instead of actual characters. I went into it expecting a hero that was dark, intense, and kind of scary. So even though I liked him I kept wa..."

So I see you liked it but do you think you would have liked it alot more but for all of the hype and comparisions?

Catherine Yes I think I might have. I still had issues with the heroine, so it wouldn't have been a straight five, but it might have ended up a 4.5 if I hadn't been looking for something the story lacked. I'll probably reread it later down the road and see if it's better for me.

message 15: by Ren (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ren Catherine and Michelle : The right name is Raphael :P

Funny, that I see Raphael is lot alike Roarke from In Death series. Both hot,dangerous and powerful (rich too), while Raphael more cold than Roarke :). I see Elena-Raphael relationship like Eve-Roarke too. Maybe for people do not read In Death series, don't know this, but I'd discussed with my friend (we both J.D.Robb fans) and we agree for some part they look alike. I don't think what Nalini do is plagiarism. It just she inspired with J.D.Robb.

For Dragon Bound, I know that most people compare Dragos to Raphael, so I will read it myself and will see, if this true :)

Catherine Thanks for the correction of the name, Ren! I forgot it was a "ph" instead of an "f".

message 17: by Ren (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ren Your welcome! :D
I see, Rafael is Italian name for Raphael right? (or Latin?)

BTW, there are 25 copies of Storm's Heart from Goodreads , sure you will want to request for it ^_^

Catherine I believe so, yes. Oh, nice! Thanks for letting me know!

message 19: by Ren (last edited May 15, 2011 10:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ren It's US only (sigh, I hope it's international). Good luck! :D

Catherine Thanks. :)

Sarah I like the sound of this one so I'll look forward to reading your review Catherine :o)

Catherine I'll let you guys know when it's up. :)

message 23: by Ren (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ren Catherine, I read your review at Fiction Vixen.. I agree with you, maybe it's better if I don't read any review about this book at here and others blog, so I don't have a high expectation. But I can't help myself :(

Catherine Ren wrote: "Catherine, I read your review at Fiction Vixen.. I agree with you, maybe it's better if I don't read any review about this book at here and others blog, so I don't have a high expectation. But I ca..."

It was really hard to avoid it. That's why I caved. I think you can read them, you just need to read some negative ones too. Prep yourself for it not to be the BEST BOOK EVA! :P

Laurie Garrison To tell you the truth even though I have seen this book everywhere and I have also had a followers email me telling me she loved it and wanted to see if I could read it and put it on the blog, but with what all I take in its hard to put my books in front of authors request besides I tried buying it and cant stinking find it.. Anyhoo, yours is the first review I have read and I am glad I did. I do plain on reading it at least now I can clam myself down and wait for it. Great review.

Catherine Laurie wrote: "To tell you the truth even though I have seen this book everywhere and I have also had a followers email me telling me she loved it and wanted to see if I could read it and put it on the blog, but ..."

Thanks! I'm not surprised to hear that people have been emailing you about it. The buzz for this seems to be off the charts. I hope you enjoy it when you eventually get a hold of it. :)