Stacey's Reviews > 30 Days of Night, Vol. 1

30 Days of Night, Vol. 1 by Steve Niles

Sep 09, 2016

bookshelves: graphic-novel, first-in-series, fantasy, own, re-read
Read on August 21, 2016

Review originally posted on Reading Autistically.

My one and only re-read for the month, this is the first in a series of comics about vampires, though this can very much stand on its own as a one-off. This has a very simple but kind of genius premise; a small, isolated town where the sun doesn't rise, invaded by the undead.

I absolutely love the art work in this, there is a soft focus to everything except for a few small elements which really makes the eyes, teeth, claws, blood, and flashes of light in the dark that are focused more sharply, really stand out in contrast. The impact is really effective and also rather beautiful. I also love the little details in the images, where text is occasionally added, a few hidden little jokes that really are worth taking a moment to notice, my favourite being an addition of an "etc" when Stella is firing her gun.

And speaking of Stella, I love her, she is a badass and it is glorious. The fact that our protagonists are a married couple, Stella and Eben complete equals of each other, is so fantastic, and though the story could have done with a little more substance, their relationship and our attachment to them by the end of this short graphic novel really does pack an emotional wallop.

But be aware that this is a bloody, brutal story, not for the weak of stomach. The vampires found within are monsters, there is nothing sexy about them, their faces twist grotesquely, while their fangs elongate and they drip blood. These vampires are the animalistic monsters of horror, not the sparkly boyfriend variety, they are in Barrow to rip out throats and play in the blood, but they are also more than that, with their own society and structures that come into play as the story unfolds. And I love it. A worthy addition to any graphic novel shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 30 Days of Night, Vol. 1.

05/15 marked as: to-read