Angie Lisle's Reviews > Hanging on to Max

Hanging on to Max by Margaret Bechard

Mar 09, 12

Read from February 02 to March 01, 2012

My expectations for this book were higher.

In the beginning, the book held up - I liked the formatting and thought I would get more background story. The author skimmed through the details; characters are poorly developed. We don't see much of sex - it's mentioned, but it's always just a statement with few details - but we also don't see much about the birthing process and we only catch glimpses of what it's really like to have a kid. The author dwelled on the negative; when she did bother to get into the baby, Max was only a brief distraction from a girl and school (where daycare was provided!! How unrealistic, since most parents don't get that luxury at all).

I also hated how the book ended - the main character gave up way too easily, which fits with his whiny and lazy attitude but, in the end, I don't like the implications this ending gives to guys. We already have enough problems with men (& boys) who give up too easily. It would've been nice if the main character would have stuck with it. Here was an opportunity to show a boy becoming a man (which is what I expected from a book billing itself for teen fathers) - instead, he refused all the help that surrounded him (his dad, an aunt and uncle in their fifties, other teen parents, a school for teen parents) and chose to remain a boy.

This isn't the message I want to give to teen boys - adoption isn't an easy way out and none of the emotional factors of this are given in any detail.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hanging on to Max.