Lily's Reviews > The American Heiress

The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin

Apr 22, 11

The American Heiress by Dasiy Goodwin
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

Traveling abroad with her mother at the turn of the twentieth century to seek a titled husband, beautiful, vivacious Cora Cash, whose family mansion in Newport dwarfs the Vanderbilts’, suddenly finds herself Duchess of Wareham, married to Ivo, the most eligible bachelor in England. Nothing is quite as it seems, however: Ivo is withdrawn and secretive, and the English social scene is full of traps and betrayals. Money, Cora soon learns, cannot buy everything, as she must decide what is truly worth the price in her life and her marriage. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

I thought that the story line was interesting and I wanted to like this book more then I did. However for me, there were some parts that felt like they could have been cut out and the readers would not have missed anything. Other parts of this book seemed to be very slow and still others felt glossed over. I had a hard time liking the characters, even the ones you are suppose to like.
That being said, I still enjoyed the book. The way it was written kept me wanting to know what was going to happen next and that kept me reading, which is a mark of a good book isn’t it?

I found the book hard to put down and in the end I felt that some of the characters redeemed themselves. Which is a plus in my opinion. The dialogue was good even though I didn’t find the characters to be very believable at certain parts of the book.
I found the writing good overall the historical aspect of the book was very good.

Overall rating *** 3 out of 5 stars
Cover art The cover art is beautiful I love it.
Obtained I relieved a copy from the publisher for review thank you.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Heiress.