Sarai's Reviews > Snowball in Hell

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: own, ebook, romance, read-in-2011
Read in April, 2011

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
I have to admit that I am relatively new to the M/M genre that being said I don’t branch out much. Mr. Lanyon is one that I auto buy or try to get every time. In fact his Adrien English series is one of my favorite and the first I’d ever read in this genre. Fan girl squeal over…

Okay I don’t think I ever really thought about how hard it had to be for people in the 40’s or earlier to be different. And by different I mean to follow in love with someone of the same sex. I guess since I’ve grown up with gay and lesbian friends and have been around it a lot I never gave any thoughts to how hard it must have been for people who couldn’t come out over fear of death, beatings, or losing their jobs. To me while they are still fighting to be accepted it has never really sank in at what others before this generation has had to go through.

That being said this book really helped me to open my eyes about it. Mr. Lanyon has painted a world at work in 1943. His two main characters are war weary and tired. Lt. Spain was injured in the war and sent home to his wife who died from cancer recently. During the war he discovered that while he loved his wife he was happier with men. Nathan on the other hand has always know that he prefers men to women. Out of both of these men I felt sorry for Nathan who only wants love but due to society can’t get it, can’t have it in the open without fear, and it appears at times feels he doesn’t deserve it.

The way these two come together is interesting Nathan is a reporter and Matt is a police officer. A murder has been committed that Nathan is covering and discovers that the deceased happens to be someone he saw last alive. But, does he tell Matt this information? Nope. He then goes all Adrien on me and tries to solve the murders on his own. In the meantime Matt tries to protect him while also solving the murder.

The mystery was interesting there were a lot of suspects and it was fun to watch them get crossed off only to be brought back later. I was guessing toward the end and happily I did not guess right (I hate figuring these things out it ruins it for me). I really enjoyed this book.

Favorite Quotes:
Jonesy said, “Lot of things could go wrong with that plan. The fact is the kidnappers might never have received the money.” “It was their plan,” Bob said. “We didn’t get a vote. We had to do it their way.” ~ Not sure on the page due to kindle but I loved how it shows the style of writing Mr. Lanyon has.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snowball in Hell.

orannia If I had any complaints it would be that it was too short and the next one isn’t coming out tomorrow!

My thoughts exactly!