marymurtz's Reviews > Tom Thumb: The Remarkable True Story of a Man in Miniature

Tom Thumb by George Sullivan

Apr 22, 11

Read from April 20 to 22, 2011

Meh...it was okay. I received an advance galley from the publisher and the formatting was nutty so it was difficult to look past that.

Having gotten that out of the way, I found the story interesting. I had no prior knowledge of this character from history, how P.T. Barnum made him famous and how he traveled the world.

The book read like a school report, with little insight into the characters, little attempt by the author to inject any humanity into any of the subjects. It appears this author has cranked out many books this way, and that's fine. I just recall reading Darin Strauss's excellent "Chang and Eng: A Novel" based on the lives of Chang and Eng Bunker, the original Siamese Twins. The book conveyed all the life events of these men but made it compelling and vivid, in a way that let the reader stand right next to the characters during the story.

This book seemed to be not much more than a dry recitation of facts in chronological order, accompanied by photos. And hey, that's fine. But with such wildly amazing subject matter, there was a lot more room for creativity here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tom Thumb.