Merrie's Reviews > The Golden Cage: Three Brothers, Three Choices, One Destiny

The Golden Cage by Shirin Ebadi

May 09, 11

Read from April 22 to May 08, 2011

I met this author and read this book the week after meeting Tina Fey at a reading of her new book, "Bossypants."

Both authors, from amazingly different perspectives, talk about women's issues, work, family obligations, being a woman in a man's world.

Fey is a famous American comedian and Ebadi is a Nobel Peace Prize winner who no longer can return to her home in Iran. Fey's book talk was sold out in 12 minutes ($40 per ticket), and I listened to Ebadi speak about the terror and repression of the Iran government through a translator around a conference room table with a handful of other journalists.

"Bossypants," is a hilarious book that is No. 1 in the country right now, and Ebadi's book isn't even on the NYT's list. It's a shame that Ebadi's story isn't getting more attention. She brilliantly uses the story of her childhood friends, three brothers, to illustrate the destructive path that her country has gone down in the last 50 years.

The book very much helped me understand the history and what Iran is like now and want to learn more. Ebadi is a talented writer and I hope her story gains many, many more readers and that soon, Ebadi will be able to safely return home.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Cage.

05/03/2011 page 124

message 1: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Oooh. I want to read this after reading your commentary!