Jim Leckband's Reviews > The Riddle of the Sands

The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers

Apr 23, 11

Read from April 22 to 23, 2011

Okay, you've read the hype about this book - "First spy thriller ever written" etc., etc. This book is not that book in the way you might expect. This is not James Bond or Le Carre or Greene where there is a roller coaster of spy-vs.-spy and intrigue and double-crosses and high body counts.

No, this is a book about sand. And tides. And the boats that scoot around sand. And tides. And the men who steer the boats that scoot around sand. And tides. And the men who are interested about finding out about the men who steer the boats that scoot around sand. And tides. And sand.

Did I mention there is a lot of sand in the novel? Did I mention that I felt I had to shake out my shoes after every chapter? Now it may be the first "spy thriller" ever written, but I can say without reservation that this is the best book about estuary navigation that I have ever read.

Okay, enough ragging on it. You don't need to know a lot about yacht navigation to fully understand the book because Childers does quite a good job of explaining what you need to know - however a glossary of nautical terms would have been handy. The maps are mandatory to getting your bearings on what is happening or else you'll just be grounded in the sand. Which there is a lot of. Sand, that is. Well, there is a lot of grounding in the sand as well. About once every three chapters I reckon. But still, there is more sand than grounding in the sand.

Sand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Riddle of the Sands.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenn I think you got it spot on there!