AJ's Reviews > The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the Martyrdom of Zimbabwe

The Fear by Peter Godwin

U_50x66
Jul 06, 11

bookshelves: africa, non-fiction, own, political-stuff, zimbabwe
Read in June, 2011

I love reading all of Peter Godwin's books and this one was no different. However, I will say that I really would like to read some good books about Zimbabwe by writers who are not white. I feel like the narrative of Zimbabwe, while interesting from a white perspective, would be very different from a black perspective - particularly since 2000 and the decline of Mugabe's regime. It seems like most of the readily available biographical books about Zimbabwe are written by whites.

Anyway, this book is different from his other books because while it is still a bit biographical, it's more about other people and politics. You can tell the author supports MDC and not ZANU-PF as it is very obvious, particularly in the way he chooses to only tell the one side of things. However, I think that is warranted in this case. I think some of the nitty gritty of the MDC/ZANU-PF clash needs to be told to a Western audience that likely knows little about it. Of course, I always like a balanced book that tells both sides. But, telling both sides here might take away from a story that relies largely on interviews and first hand accounts of the terrible aftermath of the 2008 elections.

This one was good. It took me a while to get through, even though it isn't particularly long. I recommend it for a good look at the horror of the post election violence in Zimbabwe. (and some history to boot!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fear.