Daniel's Reviews > The Consolation of Philosophy

The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius

Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: philosophy
Read from April 22 to June 25, 2011

OK, I realize that as a medieval-minded worshipper of classics I am supposed to have something enthusiastic to say about this book, but I just can't do it! Maybe I missed something...it's written in dialogue fashion, but it's that weak sort where our hero just keeps saying things like, "Well, I certainly can't argue with you there!" I mean, is that *really* a dialogue? Sometimes Plato's dialogues are fun, but I think even his (gasp!) can go this direction from time to time...the only one I can think of who really does a great job with this format for philosophy is Hume in his Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion, but I digress. There's a lot of argumentation in this book that runs like this: Is anything more important than unity? No! Is anything higher than God? No! Is anything higher than the good? happiness? No! No! Then, of course, unity, God, happiness and the good must all be the same thing...I feel like I just bought some land in Florida.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Consolation of Philosophy.