Su's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

Aug 04, 2011

bookshelves: recommended
Read in July, 2011

Can I just say right off the bat, this book LIVES UP TO THE HYPE? :D Fascinating portrait of a future Los Angeles (especially fun for those familiar with LA, since present-day landmarks turn up in interesting and very "changed-up" ways). The world-building is just remarkably seamless. There was no discernible Info Dumping, but I got so many wonderful, even minute details about the present day culture in the Republic's Los Angeles. The pacing was amazingly tight despite the amount of info you somehow obtain (through osmosis, I guess, LoL~) and the action comes at you non-stop.

The crowning glory, of course, is the characters--particularly our hero, Day, and heroine, June. I already had an idea that I would like Day based on the promo copy: he's a cheeky, street-smart, teenaged Robin Hood-type, biracial with an interesting mix of races (Russian and Mongolian--pretty!), has white-blonde hair, striking blue eyes, and is trying to protect his family--in short, a pretty enticing character. But seeing him in action made him even better. Not to give anything away, but despite being so street smart and living in the midst of such danger and infamy, he's wonderfully upbeat, generous and has a surprisingly open heart, open to love and fun as well as the danger that comes with his "line of business," so to speak.

I knew less about June going into the story, but came away equally impressed. She is the Inspector Javert to Day's Jean Valjean, and while she does start off the story with some classist and elitist attitudes instilled by her upbringing, her brilliant mind proves to be agile and her youthful idealism remains intact despite the gritty, often violent training she undergoes while being groomed to be a future military leader/war hero for the Republic. I love that the girl is the one who's enfranchised for a change, and that she gets to strut around wearing all the figurative laurels/having the proud mantle of leadership and high expectations placed on her. And she delivers too--I can't say how much I loved a YA heroine who was believably badass AND brilliant. The way Marie shows off her Sherlock Holmesian observational and deductive skills is just awesome. She and Day make excellent nemesis for one another (and more, in a totally believable and surprisingly sweet way~)

I'll stop there in the interest of avoiding spoilers. But seriously, folks--you are in for such a treat. The action, the twists, the fascinating world (both fantastically dystopian, and also visceral and REAL), and the fresh, endearing characters--LEGEND is definitely a legend in the making!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

07/27/2011 page 161
48.0% "Aaaauughh! Poor Day. ;__; I knew I didn't like Thomas..."
07/28/2011 page 221
66.0% ""Metias had fretted over such small things." ;__; That line really got to me somehow. It's the bald ordinariness of a person's small, relatable life that make the enormity of their death/gone-ness seem all the more awful somehow."
07/29/2011 page 272
81.0% "Ahhh! Go, June, go!"