Pawan's Reviews > The Guns of Navarone

The Guns of Navarone by Alistair MacLean

M_50x66
Jun 15, 11

read count: 1

I got introduced to Alistair Maclean through some references from friends and I was very curious. I have now read a few books from him and I have enjoyed reading these books. Sometimes, I have felt that his stories do tend to use a similar formula but still he is able to keep the interest alive. “The Guns of Navarone” is one of his most popular and excellent book. It is a real thriller that involves battle hardened men fighting for a mission with great zeal. This author does not deviate into romantic escapades while writing thrillers.

This is a story of an Allied Commando Team which takes up the task of breaking into the island of Navarone during World War II and destroy the impregnable fortress that houses German guns that threatens Allied Naval Ships in the Aegean Sea. The team’s task is extremely dangerous with very little time since the life of 1200 British troops depend on this mission. How they manage to get into Navarone and how they finally destroy these guns is the overall story.

The book is a work of fiction but is inspired from true incidents that happened during that period. His own experience of working in Royal Navy and also serving in World War II is visible in his writing. His details on the aspects of sea journey are amazing.

I have seen the movie adaptation of this book as well and in this case I really liked movie as well. There were some aspects about sea journey and the fight on Navarone that I could not complety understand while reading the book but movie made them clear for me. I am yet to read the sequel of this book called “Force 10 from Navarone” though I bought it sometime ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guns of Navarone.