Kathy's Reviews > My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon

My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon by P.N. Elrod

Dec 02, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, horror
Read from September 23 to December 01, 2012

Stalked by Kelley Armstrong - I have never read this author before, though I have wanted to. This story was good, but it fits in between books in one of her series. The premise is that this couple is on their honeymoon (Surprised, huh? The title of the book just gives that completely away!). They are not your average couple, they are werewolves. Unfortunately for them, they are not alone...they are being hunted. We get all the politics of being part of a pack and what is called a "mutt". It's really interesting and does make me want to dive into her storyworld more. I think I would've enjoyed this more if I had read her books already. It would make a great filler. But as is, I could only give it 3 stars. I could even go 3.5 stars, but that doesn't work here. (3 stars)

Heorot by Jim Butcher - This is also by first Jim Butcher story and I absolutely loved it! You absolutely didn't need to have read any of these books to enjoy and follow the story! But it plants the seed so you want to! The premise is a simple one, a young woman is kidnapped while on her honeymoom, but you are hooked from the get-go. Where the local police won't even touch the case until 48 hours have passed, our resident wizard/detective sees enough to begin an investigation. What an interesting character, this Harry Dresden is! I'm hooked! Jim Butcher has definitely moved up on my TBR list! (5 stars)

Roman Holiday, or SPQ-arrrrrrr by Rachel Caine - This story is actually the 2nd part of a story that was previously told in the anthology My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding. I didn't remember that story, I do have a poor memory....or maybe that was how much I liked it. Who knows. This was a pirate story w/ a touch of romance. Not bad, but not great either. (3 stars)

Her Mother's Daughter by P.N. Elrod - This is another great story w/ Vampire Detective Jack Fleming. I love these books, I have so far read the first 3 Vampire Files books w/ this character. Old school mystery noir combined w/ vampires. In this story, a bride comes to Jack immediately following her wedding to hire him to search for her missing husband. Her father is a notorious "mafia-type" businessman, which serious makes you wonder in which direction this story is going to go. Good stuff! (5 stars)

Newlydeads by Caitlin Kittredge - This book was impossible for me to follow! From the information given in the book regarding this story, Kittredge's series begins after this story...and yet I found it so hard to follow. It was as if we are supposed to be psychic and just now what is happening and who and what everything is. I have never read anything by this author before, and after reading this story, I am not so keen on doing so now. (2 stars)

Where The Heart Lives by Marjorie M. Liu - This book had a wonderful feel of a fairytaile retelling. I loved the, characters, feel and the innocence of this charming tale. A young girl is sent off to work for a mysterious rich woman, who lives near the forest. Scared and alone, she meets the woman, her lonely brother and the mute handyman, who also live there. They become family to her and life is so much sweeter than before she arrived. That's where I will leave it, because the layering of the story is intricate and a huge part of the story. I loved this story and I can't wait to check out more by this author! (5 stars)

Cat Got Your Tongue by Kat MacAister - I loved this story. I wasn't familiar with the main characters, but the story was a simple ghost story which I really enjoyed. It had it's humorous moments and a sense of mystery. Very well done. (5 stars)

Half Of being Married by Lilith Saintcrow - This was also a really good story. What happens when a werewolf (excuse me, Sunrunner) and a Vampire Hunter fall in love and marry.....almost anything! I want more of these characters, but I'm not sure if there is more. I will definitely be hunting more by this author. This is a first read of hers for me. (5 stars)

A Wulf In Groom's Clothing by Rhonda Thompson - This was a cute story and even though I thought it was going in a predictable direction, I have to admit I was surprised by the outcome. I'm not sure if this story has enticed me to look for my by the author, but I enjoyed this read. (3 stars)

This was a nice collection of stories and in many cases, I am really anxious to read more by these authors...and that says alot. The average of stars is 3.8888 or something like that, so I will raise it to 4. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon.

09/24/2012 page 35
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim The Paranormal & Horror Lovers group is reading Bitten by Kelley Armstrong this month.

I need to re-read it. I really liked Dime Store Magic & Industrial Magic by Armstrong, but wasn't as thrilled with the werewolf stuff. My daughter was just the opposite & loves all of Armstrong's stuff.

Kathy Thanks, Jim. If I weren't "booked" solid trying to finish my top 10 from our group's Challenge, I would be interested. I will definitely read more of her. I have Dime Store Magic at home. I will probably start there. :)