Hina's Reviews > Death Bringer

Death Bringer by Derek Landy

So I bought this book on September 3rd when I went to Derek Landy's book signing. I had a brilliant time talking to him; he is such a nice person. So when I came home eager to start this book, I was definitely not disappointed.

Melancholia St Clair, an average Necromancer, who has been announced as The Death Bringer, brings shock to the Necromancers, especially Solomon Wreath as he had thought that Valkyrie Cain was the one. The Death Bringer would've been the person to join life and death together by opening up 'The Passage'. But what exactly is this 'Passage'? All the rest of the Sorcerers know is that it will save the world. Or will it?

The book is excellent, it maintains it's five star record with a gripping plot and brilliant characters. You can definitely see the growth in the characters, especially Valkyrie's who is now more confident, hormonal, egoistic and far from perfect person. We are told of her brilliance numerous times, but it is balanced out by Fletcher's argument with her which pinpoints all the things that's wrong with her. I thought her character as Darquesse was brilliant, it shows her at her full potential, a very dark and disturbing person indeed.

The new characters were slid in very well. I found myself enjoying China Sorrow's manipulation from her old friend, Eliza Scorn. You definitely end up seeing China's subtle side in this book which still includes her smug attitude, but her feelings for Valkyrie develop into something more.

I thought that Caelan's character fell, and wasn't the same standard as Derek Landy kept him in the previous books. He was very obsessive over Valkyrie, proposing to her at one point and offering to watch her sleep which reminded me of Edward Cullen. At first I was very disappointed but towards the end I realised that Derek Landy wrote it to take the mickey out of all the Paranormal Romance books that are out there, even having Valkyrie mention Edward and Bella at a point. I was honestly grinning like a fool, but it still doesn't mean that I don't want to throw Caelan off a cliff.

There are many twists and turns, many questions get answered, but new ones are also brought up, especially that cliffhanger at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Bringer.

Quotes Hina Liked

Derek Landy
“Valkyrie patted Fletcher’s arm. “Don’t worry,” she said. “If the bad man comes, I’ll protect you.”
“If the bad man comes,” Fletcher responded, “I’ll bravely give out a high-pitched scream to distract him. I may even bravely faint, to give him a false sense of security. That will be your signal to strike.”
“We make a great team.”
“Just don’t forget to stand in front of me the whole time,” he said.”

Derek Landy
“We punch people, Valkyrie. That’s who we are. Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed.”

Derek Landy
“The man had a smooth voice, like velvet. “I’m Detective Inspector Me. Unusual name, I know. My family were incredibly
narcissistic. I’m lucky I escaped with any degree of humility at all, to be honest, but then I’ve always managed to exceed expectations. You are Kenny Dunne, are you not?”
“I am.”
“Just a few questions for you, Mr Dunne. Or Kenny. Can I call you Kenny? I feel we’ve become friends these past few seconds. Can I call you Kenny?”
“Sure,” Kenny said, slightly baffled.
“Thank you. Thank you very much. It’s important you feel comfortable around me, Kenny. It’s important we build up a level of trust. That way I’ll catch you completely unprepared when I
suddenly accuse you of murder.”

Derek Landy
“I kill a sofa for you and you go and sit in a chair?” Skulduggery asked. “I don’t think you appreciate the sacrifice that has been made for you.”

Derek Landy
“We're not really intruding," he called down. "This is all a big misunderstanding."
"Stop right there!" shouted one of them.
Skulduggery held his hand to an ear he didn't have.
"What's that?"
"Stop!"
"Keep going?"
"STOP!"
"OK, we'll keep going.”

Derek Landy
“You say one more thing that sounds like it's ripped from the pages of a really bad gothic romance and I'm out of here, are we clear?" - Valkyrie Cain”

Derek Landy
“You think Bernadette Maguire killed him?”
“Uh… no. She’s, like I said, she’s old.”
“Old people can kill people too.”
“I know, but…”
“She could be a ninja.”
“She’s not a ninja, for God’s sake. She’s somebody’s great grandmother.”
“I want you to think carefully about this, Kenny. Have you ever seen her with a sword?”
“What?”
“How about throwing stars?”
“This is ridiculous.”
“Have you ever seen her dressed up as a ninja? That would have been my first clue.”
The girl sucked in her cheeks so she wouldn't laugh out loud.”

09/04/2011 page 432

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

loved this series so refreshing from reading about vampires and angels!

Claire mcdonagh I encourage you to come and join the Skulduggery Pleasant group for news,discussion and fun games :)

Hina Right. Um, thank you?